In a nutshell
In the Race (previously “Surf-Race”) discipline multiple competitors ride around a course with a start and finish line that combines jibes, tacks and parts of pumping or surfing without wing assistance.
Within the Race discipline the GWA runs 2 types of events:
1. World Cups
All World Cups are part of the GWA Wingfoil World Tour and count towards the overall GWA Wingfoil Race World Champion of the given year. In general about 5-7 World Cups take place in various countries all over the world, looking for the best allround “racer” in all kinds of weather conditions.
2. Continental- and World Championships
“GWA Wingfoil Race Class” events are one-off events taking place according to World Sailing standards and regulations. Continental Championhips crown the best “racer” at a chosen location in the given continent, which then holds the title of “GWA Wingfoil Race <continent> Champion”. World Championships will only take place for Youth and Masters categories, as the Pro (Senior) World Champion is crowned as described in point 1 (Wingfoil World Tour).
Athletes from countries outside of a given continent can compete in a continental championship and also win the event, but the Continental Champion title will be given only to the best ranked athlete with a passport from that continent.
Click here to download the GWA Wingfoil World Tour Rulebook.
Approved Registered Equipment
Click here to download the document with approved registered equipment.
1. In 2021 and until 31.1.2022 the GWA Wingfoil Race Class Box Rule DOES NOT APPLY.
2. The GWA Wingfoil Race Class Box Rule applies from 1.2.2022 onwards only.
3. Equipment limitations in the discipline “Race” at GWA Class events as well as GWA Wingfoil World Tour events are following the GWA Wingfoil World Tour Rulebook (click here) only.
Athletes competing in Continental- or World Championships “Race” need a GWA Wingfoil Race Class membership to be able to compete in those events:
1. Membership Fees for athletes attending Class events 2021:
(1) Athlete membership fee for 1 Class event = 60,- Euro p.a.
(2) Athlete membership fee for 2 Class events and more = 120,- Euro p.a.
(3) Class membership fee includes insurance and the right to compete also in the GWA Wingfoil World Tour in 2021.
(4) Athlete membership fee needs to be paid in 2021 even if the athlete is member of an MNA.
2. Membership Fees for athletes attending Class events 2022:
(1) Athlete membership fee for 1 Class event = 60,- Euro
(2) Athlete membership fee for 2 Class events and more = 120,- Euro
(3) Class membership fee includes insurance and the right to compete also at the GWA Wingfoil World Tour in 2021.
(4) If the athlete is member of a MNA which is member of the GWA Wingfoil Race Class the athlete membership fee is as follows:
a) 1 Class event = 30,- Euro p.a
b) 2 Class events and more = 60,- p.a.
c) Reduced Class membership fee in accordance to 2. (4) a) and b) does not include insurance coverage by the GWA Wingfoil Race Class and also does not include the right to compete at the GWA Wingfoil World Tour
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and contact details. You’ll be send an application form as soon as possible after receival of your e-mail.
For the “Surf-Freestyle” and “Race” World Cups a membership is not needed and only regular registration fees apply.
Compete in a Race event?
Would you like to compete in one of our events? Please follow below steps:
- Go to events, choose your event and click the “Register” button on the bottom of the page. You’ll be sent to our registration platform where you can fill out the registration form.
- Check whether you need a membership (see above)
- Check the rules for your discipline (see above)
- Check the approved registered equipment list (see above)